East Sussex Finescale
Fellow Finescale Modellers,
As my current layout (Ewhurst Green) progressing there has been a significant number of running sessions thereon as friends bring their models to run. Ineed unless stated otherwise all the locomotives featured are visitors; even the 8-car Metro-Cammell Pullman set is a visitor - albeit have taken ‘residence’ since 2015! Some of these friends are still building their layouts; others want the opportunity to run full-length trains on somebody else’s metals (i.e. mine).
With layout construction ongoing the vantage points for photographs are currently limited (so apologies here). But these will increase with time!
Typically, these sessions start with an excellent lunch at ‘our’ nearby beachfront café; which is just a very short distance away!
These running sessions are recorded here although past sessions may be dropped off the list as time progresses.
Running Session 9th February 2019
Although sunny, looking out of the café’s windows the wind was really whipping up the waves! More interestingly, our lunchtime discussion revealed a ‘Regional Railways’ bias to the afternoon’s running session - we were not to be disappointed!
No.31 455 ‘Our Eli’ is a Lima model mounted on a Hornby Railroad underframe and bogies. Initially it derailed which was soon found to be down to two factory faults (1) the centre wheelsets were not fitted correctly and (2) the back-to-back dimensions were incorrectly set. After these were corrected (a relatively straightforward exercise) the locomotive rain without incident although could benefit from the fitting of Ultrascale wheels.
A limited edition of 850, class 37 414 ‘Cathays C +W Works 1846-1993’ is a Lima model that really requires Ultracale wheels (else a ViTrains replacement locomotive). Located in a Cardiff suburb, Cathays railways works built by the Taff Vale Railway to provide its main carriage and wagon works along with a railway depot for its system. It passed into Great Western Railway ownership thence British Railways who sold off the carriage and wagon works to the Pullman Company Ltd. Today, both the site of the railway depot and the carriage and wagon works have been redeveloped.
The Lima class 37 model (above) looks dated against Bachmann’s 37 422 ‘Robert F. Fairlie Locomotive Engineer 1830-1885’. Robert Francis Fairlie was a railway engineer known for his patented double engines; the Double Fairlie locomotives having been associated with the Ffestiniog Railway since the 1870s.
Brush ‘Type 4’ no.47 475 was painted in the original Provincial services livery in order to match the Transpennine Mk.2 coaching stock used on the Newcastle to Liverpool services (which had been similarly re-liveried quite early-on in that sectors' existence).
BR standard class 4 no.75062 on a Down passenger train. This locomotive spent time at Nottingham (1957-new), Derby (1962), Stoke-on-Trent (1963), Lostock Hall (1967) before withdrawal from Carnforth in 1968.
No.75062 subsequently took charge of the visiting five-car Regional Railways Mk.1 set. These coaches really looked the part and it is understood their next visit may be strengthened by four number Regional Railways-liveried Mk.2 stock.
The reason for the locomotive change was to enable ‘C’ class 31579 to take the BR(S) liveried Bulleid /Mk.1 stock.
These were a well-designed locomotive; straightforward and reliable. With a good turn of speed (for an 0-6-0) they found work not just on goods trains but semi-fast passenger trains too. Accordingly, they saw widespread use across the Eastern Section. In 1900 the first two C-class locomotives appeared from Ashford Works and Neilson Reid respectively. Up to 1908 a further 107 locomotives were delivered from Ashford Works, Longhedge Works, Neilson Reid & Co. and Sharp Stewart. They endured well with the last being withdrawn from passenger service in 1962.
Running Session 19th January 2019
Based on the LMS ’Fairburn’ design and built at Brighton locomotive works to work order BR.3621 in 1951 (at a cost of £11,025 e.a.) ‘Bacon slicer’ 4MT tank engine no.80032 took on a period Down train. Originally intended for the North Eastern this locomotive was allocated to Brighton shed (75A). With a later crest this locomotive was also allocated to Redhill thence Bournemouth sheds.
Loadhaul class 60 locomotives piqued the day’s interest. With a centre of operations in North East England, and South and East Yorkshire, Loadhaul was created in 1994 (along with Transrail and Mainline) as part of the broadly regional split of British Rail's Trainload Freight operations. All three former Trainload Freight companies were acquired in 1996 by 'North-South Railways' (owned by a consortium led by US railroad company Wisconsin Central). Ultimately all three (together with Rail Express Systems) were formed into a new company, English Welsh & Scottish (EWS).
60 070 ‘John Loudon McAdam’ was built at Brush Traction's works in 1991; receiving its name later that year. 60070 was one of only three class 60 locomotives to carry the Loadhaul branding over the existing Railfreight triple grey livery (along with 60 050 and 60 064) instead of Loadhaul’s normal black with orange ends livery. 60 070 was placed into storage during 2004; Hornby’s model of same was released in 2018.
60 007 was a Hornby model released in 2005 in Loadhaul black /orange livery. It was not without slight irony that 60 007 once carried the not dissimilar Scottish name ‘Robert Adam’.
Type ‘JB’ TOPS numbered 73 138 in Engineer’s ‘Dutch’ livery. This class of 49 locomotives were built in two batches using English Electric components. The first six type 'JA' locomotives numbered E6001-E6006 were built by BR at Eastleigh works in 1962 and were numbered E6001-E6006. With the introduction of TOPS in 1968 these became class 73/0. A successful design of locomotive, the production run of forty-three type 'JB' locomotives were built at English Electric's Vulcan Foundry from 1965 to 1967. Numbered E6007-E6049 they became TOPS class 73/1 and were renumbered 73 101-73 142.
Dean Goods no.2468 on the Down Line. Between 1883 and 1899 Swindon railway works built 260 of these William Dean-designed class 2301 goods locomotives These locomotives broke with GWR tradition through having inside frames; the first twenty engines were originally domeless (all subsequently received domed boilers). The class were numbered 2301–2360 and 2381–2580.
Running Session 19th January 2019
The running sessions always follow lunch; this day saw a West Country theme albeit starting with my modified Merchant Navy no.35026 ‘Lamport & Holt Line’ essentially undertaking a few circuits as a positioning move from the previous running session.
Beattie well tank no.30585 hauling some hooded china-clay wagons. Three of these elderly well-tanks survived into BR-days on the Wenford Bridge branch; two made it into preservation.
Pannier tank no.1368 was of the 1366 class; one of only two pannier tank designs built by the GWR that utilised outside cylinders (although various existing engines inherited by the GWR had Pannier Tanks and outside cylinders). Designed to replace the 1392 class, the 1366 class was developed from the 1361 class but differed by including a pannier tank rather than a saddle tank and Belpaire firebox.
Six engines of the class all remained in operation at nationalisation in 1948. They were a useful design and because of their light weight and short wheelbase, were often used on dockside branches with sharp curvature (including Weymouth Quay). In 1950 three locomotives were stationed at Swindon and three at Weymouth. By 1958, two still remained at Weymouth (the shed now being under British Railway's Southern Region), one at Taunton with the other three still at Swindon.
No.4962 ‘Ragley Hall’ was a 4900 Class or Hall Class; a mixed traffic 4-6-0 type designed by Charles Collett. Following the 1924 prototype a total of 259 locomotives were built through to 1930; these numbered 4900–4999, 5900–5999 and 6900–6958.
It had been intended to place no.6988 ‘Swithland Hall’ on a passenger train but as these were a mixed traffic locomotive it took top hauling the visiting china clay wagons instead. Swithland Hall was a 6959 Class or Modified Hall Class; these being a development by Frederick Hawksworth of Charles Collett's earlier design. The first batch of twelve Modified Halls was delivered from Swindon works between March and September 1944. They carried plain black livery were unnamed and numbered 6959-6970 (named between 1946 and 1948).
A further batch of ten locomotives appeared during October and November 1947 with more on order when the nationalisation took place in 1948. Construction of this class until November 1950; seventy-one examples being constructed.
"Baby Warship" D6318 was a diesel-hydraulic locomotive built by the North British Locomotive Company for British Railways’ Western Region of and. Class 22 under TOPS, they were very similar in appearance to the Class 21 diesel-electrics. The nickname Baby Warship related to the similarity in appearance (and internal equipment) to the British Railways class D20/2 (later TOPS class 41) Warship Class.
The class 22 locomotives were numbered D6300-D6357. North British Locomotive Company went bankrupt in 1962 and, by the late-sixties withdrawn locomotives were being used to provide spares. Attrition was inevitable and the withdrawals (which had commenced in 1967) finished with the withdrawal of 6333, 6336, 6338 and 6339 in January 1972. None survived.
Running Session 5th January 2019
The first luncheon of 2019 at our local beachfront café hosted discussion of the running session to come.
Running commenced on the Down Line with one of my locomotives, modified Merchant Navy no.35026 ‘Lamport & Holt Line’. After modification in 1957 this -crest locomotive was paired with a 5100-gallon early-crest tender until November 1961 when this was changed for a 6000-gallon late-crest tender.
Air-smoothed 34001 ‘Exeter’ with narrow cab and 4500-gallon tender (as it appeared between 1949 and 1957) took charge of the eight-car Metro-Cammell Pullman train (itself a visitor). This was the first of the West Country class locomotives entering traffic in 1945; it was withdrawn and cut in 1967.
Schools ‘V’ class 30901 ‘Winchester’ as it appeared between 1957 and 1962. During this period, it was a Central Division locomotive based at St Leonards shed until 1958 when it moved to Brighton shed (75A).
On the Up Line visiting T9 in Southern livery, which was applied in 1926. However, the model is modelled as it appeared between 1928 and 1943 (the six-wheeled tender was acquired in 1928 when it also lost the ‘E’ prefix – wartime black was applied in 1943) hauling the Metro-Cammell Pullman cars. Built by Dubs & Co. in January 1900 this locomotive was withdrawn and cut in 1961. Gate stock rattles past on the Down Line.
On the Down Line M7 tank engine propels Gate Stock 373. Throughout its life this particular set operated services on the following lines: Bordon – Guildford, Plymouth – Turnchapel, Plymouth – St Budeaux – Tavistock (including Bere Alston – Callington in non-Pull Push mode), Seaton – Seaton Junction and Yeovil Town – Yeovil Junction.
Pull-push equipped long-framed M7 tank engine no.30051 as it appeared between 1952 and 1958. For most of this period it was based at Basingstoke shed (70D).
Running Session 27th December 2018
Fortunately, the nearby beachfront café reserves tables for its regulars; as the day after Boxing Day the seafront was drawing out the crowds in numbers. The running session was planned over lunch including the upgrading of wheelsets in two class 56 diesels.
Built as BREL Crewe as 56 125, locomotive 56 303 is a Mainline model; having been repainted into the short-lived Fastline livery as carried by 56 301 & 56 302.
In January 2005 Fragonset and Merlin merged to form FM Rail and 56 125 was purchased from DB Cargo (previously EWS) and overhauled /renumbered 56 303 by FM Rail. Passing into RVEL ownership (successor to FM Rail) it sat out of use at Derby until September 2009 when it was repainted into Great Western Railway green livery,
The model’s original wheelsets were unsuitable for scale track. However, Peter’s Spares had Hornby replacements in stock, which had been prepared insofar as the back-to-back dimensions were set to 14.5mm.
Bulleid air-smoothed West Country locomotive 21C123 ‘Blackmore Vale’ started out hauling the ‘banana van’ train; these being regularly conveyed on Southern metals to Lingfield in Surrey. The speedometer drive indicates this locomotive is in its preservation livery.
Purchased by the Bulleid Preservation Society as 34023, Blackmoor Vale was returned to traffic as no. 21C123 during May 1976 on the Bluebell Railway in Malachite green). Repainted into BR Green during 1984, 34023 was withdrawn from traffic in 1985 with its tender being lent to Battle of Britain class 34072 (257 Squadron) on the Swanage Railway.
D6706 entered service in January 1961; it was renumbered 37 798 on 11th September 1986. One of the first locomotives to be painted in the bright aircraft blue and silver lining of Mainline Freight, it earned small-time celebrity status by managing to retain its blue livery into the EWS era until scrapping in 2009.
Along with 37 798 locomotive no.37 702 was one of pair ‘Loadhaul models’ produced for Rails Exclusive. On completion of a heavy general overhaul and life extension at Crewe Works, No. 37 702 was allocated to Cardiff Canton shed and found regular employment in the South Wales valleys on merry-go-round coal traffic.
Receiving its Taff Merthyr nameplates from a Class 56 in 1989 the Transrail brandings and depot plaques were gained in 1996. During this period, it was fitted with unusual rectangular buffers that are replicated on model.
The original wheelsets on Dapol’s model 56 086 were unsuitable for scale track. However, having already purchased wheels for 56 303 Peter’s Spares had just one last complete set of Hornby replacements in stock, which had been prepared insofar as the back-to-back dimensions were set to 14.5mm. Coping well with quite heavy loads, in terms of quality this model still holds its own reasonably well today.
Built by BREL Doncaster and is believed to have been scrapped in the late 1990’s.
Built 31st October 1938 Crewe Works Black Five no 45458 commenced its working life at Perth South (63A); it was withdrawn 31st December 1962 from Polmadie (66A) and cut at Barnes & Bell, Coatbridge 29th February 1962. During its life 45458 overturned at Wormit in May 1955.
The last locomotive running was not a visitor by one of my own. SWD-allocated Merchant Navy class 35026 ‘Lamport & Holt Line’ was modified in January 1957 and was withdrawn in March 1967 because of a loose driving wheel tyre. These locomotives started receiving red ground nameplates from 1962
It is understood this model is one of Hornby’s rarer Merchant Navies.
Running Session 18th December 2018
At the beachfront café a hearty ‘Christmas luncheon’ was consumed by all with much delight; the filling starter and main course was an ample eloquence – nobody ventured to a third course! Certainly this festive meal made a pleasant change from the usual excellent fare.
There was a pre-war German trend to the running session, starting with class 39 no. 195 hauling a mixed train of pre-first World War clerestory stock along with both four and six-wheeled coaches from between the wars. A Prussian State Railways ‘P10’ design the first of these three-cylinder locomotives were built in 1922. This two-hundred and sixty-strong class exceeded much of the seventeen-tonne maximum axle-loading of the German rail network.
During the afternoon’s running session this Mikado ran over 200 scale miles on the Up Line!
While more stock as being unpacked a ‘resident visiting’ and led by unit no.2603 an eight-car 2 HAL /2 BIL formation made an appearance. The 2 BIL unit (at the rear) had experience a derailment earlier in the week; resetting of its wheel’s back-to-back measurement to 14.5mm immediately cured this.
On the Down Line a class 78 (no.254) tank engine hauled more pre-first World War clerestory stock; this time an outer-suburban set. These 4-6-4T tank engines were operated by the Deutsche Reichsbahn and Deutsche Bundesbahn. With the earliest dating back to 1912 (Prussian State Railways), these locomotives could run equally fast forwards and backwards enabling them to be operated on return journeys without turning.
Whilst the coaches were of a chocolate & cream livery the upper panelling of the composite’s second-class section was light blue instead of cream. This creates a somewhat unusual appearance.
In the UK second class was already in decline by 1860. The Midland Railway abolished second class in 1875; the Great Western Railway in 1910, the London and South Western Railway in 1918 and the South Eastern and Chatham Railway in 1923. With the 1938 abolition of second class on the London and North Eastern Railway’s suburban services only the Southern Railway operated second class on its boat trains (in line with the corresponding continental services) through into 1948 and nationalisation. Second class was abolished on 3rd June 1956 (third class was then renamed second class).
Two van trains were combined on the Up Line enabling a ‘Kernow’ weathered Western D1030 ‘Western Musketeer’ to take charge of a thirty-four vehicle ‘XP’-rated van train. New from Crewe works on 5th December 1963 the locomotive was scrapped just thirteen years later (at Swindon) on 22nd September 1976.
Rail blue with small yellow warning panels was adopted in 1966; for a short while D1030 carried a further variation in the form of red headstock /buffer shanks. Besides D1030, locomotive numbers D1017, D1036, D1037, D1043, D1047, D1048 and D1057 also carried small yellow warning panels; other locomotives receiving full-yellow ends.
Running Session 15th December 2018
With stormy seas, hail and -2oC temperatures it was fortunate that the beachfront café was warm and welcoming!
As rolling stock was being unpacked 5 BEL unit 3053 (itself a resident visitor) took a turn on the Down Line. It was released from Eastleigh on 30th May 1969 in blue /grey livery and made its last schedule run on 30th April 1972. Unit 3053 made a final trip (with 3052) under its own power into Lover’s Walk on 3rd May 1972.
Mainline Blue & Silver liveried 58 038 first entered service in 1983; receiving this livery in 1994/95. With a maximum speed of 85mph its design followed American modularisation practice. At the time of this running session 50 038 is currently stored in France.
In preservation livery (with modern electrification flashes) King Arthurs class 30777 Sir Lamiel hauled nine bogies with ease. Built in 1925 no.3077 was withdrawn from service in October 1961.
The locomotive was named after a fictional minor Knight of the Round Table named Lamiel of Caerdydd (Cardiff). Lamiel is mentioned in Book XIX of Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, where it is said he was "a great lover"
Built by Vulcan Foundry in February 1964 and introduced as D6991 this locomotive was initially renumbered as 37 291 before it finally became 37 419 on 3rd December 1985. Running here in EW&S livery no. 37 419 is (at the time of this running session) owned by Direct Rail Services.
A Southern Region based locomotive, Ivatt tank no.41291 was originally allocated to Stewart’s Lane (73A) thence Brighton (75A) from April 1961 before moving west to Exmouth Junction (72A) from March 1963 thence to Templecombe (83G) in June 1965 before withdrawal in March 1966. Here it is hauling a four-car Southern Region (plus van) passenger train.
Electroputere (Romania)-built Loadhaul 56 003 was one of the class that entered into EWS ownership when that company purchased Loadhaul, Mainline freight and Transrail Freight. The Romanian-built class 56 locomotives suffered from poor construction standards and many underwent extensive rebuilding as a consequence. I believe it was scrapped in the 1990s.
These were British Rail’s first diesel type to be built with air train brakes only (Davies and Metcalfe E70 system); earlier designs having variously been fitted with vacuum train brakes or a dual braking system. Compared to a previous running session this is a later Hornby model.
Running bunker first hauling a fish train on the Down Line, no.41291 passes a 2 BIL unit speeding past on the Up Line.
Running Session 9th December 2018
The session started on the Down Line with Schools class 30915 ‘Brighton’ in its June 1953 ‘Royal train’ guise with white cab roof /smoke deflector lining. In reality this locomotive also sported white-painted tyres /smokebox hinge straps.
It is understood this was undertaken for the ‘Derby-day’ Royal Train running from Victoria to Tattenham Corner on Saturday 6th June; just for days after the Coronation. For this duty it is understood the locomotive would have had its leading buffers temporarily replaced with a highly-polished pair.
On the Up Line 26 oo2 in Railfreight grey /yellow cab large logo livery as applied to nineteen of the class between 1985-87. Originally delivered to Hornsey (ER) between July 1958 and March 1959 the class moved to Scotland in the 1960s. This locomotive is currently in BR green livery on the Strathspey Railway.
Next on the Down line was ‘P’ class 31323 hauling four bogies with comparative ease. Intended for working light branch and pull-push services eight ‘Wainwright’ P class locomotives were built by Ashford Works between February 1909 and July 1910. With some three-quarters of the tractive effort output from the similar A1X class the class were allocated to light-shunting /shed pilot duties.
Withdrawn in March 1960, no.31323 is now at the Bluebell Railway as no.323 ‘Bluebell’; one of four in preservation.
This was followed by a change of era with a pair of DEMU’s; no.205001 on the Up Line; 1122 on the Down.
Originally number 1101 this unit made its debut at the Eastleigh works open day on 7th August 1957. It commenced its first test running on 12th August 1957 with four trips from Eastleigh to Fareham and back. The first 2H units took over the Portsmouth/Southampton to Salisbury service from 16th September 1957.
Renumbered 201001 in August 1986 this unit received (early) NSE livery on 11th May 1988. It survived the Cowden collision on 15th October 1994 before repainting and reduction to a two-car by Connex 18th January 1999. 205001 was last used in main-line traffic on the 18:32hrs Uckfield to East Croydon on 9th December 2004.
Entering service on 14th June 1958 unit 1122 was built as a 2H ‘Hastings’ unit for the Ashford ‑ Hastings, Appledore ‑ New Romney and Crowhurst ‑ Bexhill West services. These units lacked the external lighting trunking along the coach roofs but retained the external water filler pipes on the driving trailers. However, 1121 gained external lighting trunking when its identity was exchanged with 1108 in May 1974.
Unit 1122 received blue fill-yellow ends livery on 26th June 1968 before being disbanded to a 3T unit in July 1979.
Running Session 17th November 2018
During our seafront luncheon a deal was also struck but more of that later.
Perhaps the starting point should be with a couple of GW locomotives, the first being a 57xx class pannier tank no.5775. With a total of 862 constructed between 1929 and 1950 this was the largest class of engine designed and built by the GWR.
No. 5775 was built at Swindon in 1929 and withdrawn from Pontypool Road in January 1963 and sold to London Transport taking the number L89. It entered into preservation on the Keighley & Worth Valley railway in January 1970.
No.6818 Hardwick Grange was one of eighty 68xx / Grange Class mixed traffic locomotives built at Swindon to replace the 43xx class. They were essentially a Hall-class with smaller driving wheels.
Hardwick Grange was one of the first batch of locomotives built between August 1936 and December 1937; a second batch were batch were built between February and May 1939. It was withdrawn in 1964; none of the class survived into preservation.
Resident visitor SLW 24 081 has appeared on the layout many times; its excellent stereo sound (even on DC) make it a popular locomotive!
37 501 ‘Teeside Steelmaster’ and 37 ‘British Steel Teeside’ are a boxed pair of locomotives (by Rail Express) that attracted much interest. Based at Thornaby in real-life both locomotives being regularly paired.
37 501 ‘Teeside Steelmaster’ is in British Steel light blue livery.
37 502 ‘British Steel Teeside’ carries Teesside depot’s interpretation of Railfreight red strip complete with colour Kingfisher emblem.
Scotrail 47 637 entered traffic 24th November 1965 as D1976 before renumbering to 47 274 (September 1974) thence 47 637 (January 1986 in Inter-City livery) and finally 47 826 (May 1989). Whilst in Scotrail livery it was named ‘Springburn’ at BRML Springburn on 16th June 1987.
BREL-built Loadhaul 56 083 was one of the class that entered into EWS ownership when that company purchased Loadhaul, Mainline freight and Transrail Freight. I believe it was scrapped in the 1990s.
On the Up Line Battle of Britain 34062 ’17 Squadron’ made a welcome appearance presented in its post-1959 modified (rebuilt) guise hauling the 8-car Metro-Cammell Pullman set with ease.
The C-class were built between 1900 and 1908 (mostly by Ashford works) and no.31579 took charge of the BR(S) set on the Down Line; all but one of these locomotives made it into BR days with many being withdrawn with the Kent-coast electrification.
Next was Merchant Navy 35011 'General Steam Navigation' in its post 1962 condition.
At this point the afternoon became interesting as two of my locomotives 35028 ‘Clan Line’ and 35027 ‘Port Line’ appeared on the visiting Blue /Grey Mk1 set. Except one of our modelling circle had been tactfully lobbying me to part with them and I’d agreed to sell both at lunchtime!
So, they were mine no longer but this was not a difficult decision. Not only did both models sport post-1962 red-ground nameplates they also carried electrification flashes which placed Clan Line as 1966-on and Port Line in the current preservation era.
Yes, electrification flashes can be removed but I still have too many Merchant Navy locomotives as it is and somebody else was keen to enjoy this pair.
But the day finished with one last twist as I also have 35026 ‘Lamport & Holt Line’ (with black-ground nameplates) so this was placed at the very head of the formation……….
I hope these will have been of interest!
All photographs are copyright of ‘Caiptean’ at BloodandCustard.
memory of Moser
A companion dearly missed
This webpage is kindly hosted by www.BloodandCustard.net
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT